Food & Lodging / Stay with us
Spend the Night, the Weekend or Indulge in a Staycation
As you drive through the stone gateway at the entrance to the grounds of the Garth Newel Music Center with its lush expanse of green grass, ancient oak trees and long winding drive you feel yourself gently transported back in time. As you reach the crest of the driveway you see The Manor House, the centerpiece of this country estate which includes two barns (one which has been converted into our performance hall) as well as other cottages (some of which are private residences).
Built in the 1920’s as the estate of William Sergeant Kendall and his bride, Christine Herter Kendall, in honor of their marriage; the buildings that comprise Garth Newel have since their inception been the center for art, music, food and conversation. It was not uncommon for William and his bride Christine, both musicians and artists, to invite their friends from New York and around the world to join them at their estate to paint, make music, enjoy a wonderful meal and good conversation.
That tradition continues today as we invite guests to complete their Garth Newel experience by spending the night on our 114-acre mountain property. After an evening of music, food and drink it is but a short walk to our Manor House. The spacious and comfortable rooms are quaintly decorated and the original art on display gives you a glimpse into our creative past. A continental breakfast is served in the morning. The Keurig coffee bar is available 24/7.
Imagine Your Country Stay
The Manor House is a historic property listed on the Virginia Historic Registry and has a wide variety of rooms from which to choose; all of which have been tastefully decorated. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and feature paintings by Christine Kendall and other artists. During your stay, browse the mahogany lined bookshelves filled with interesting reads, stroll the grounds or hike the walking trail.
The Manor House offers several guest room configurations and can sleep an entire party of 18, or provide an intimate weekend getaway for two. The rooms, all named for famous instrument makers, include a variety of amenities. Each has a private bath which include hotel size soap and lotions as well as a hairdryer. The kitchen, living room, and music room/library are common areas and open to all guests staying in the Manor House and free wi-fi is available. A continental breakfast is provided each morning.
Overnight stays are popular with repeat guests and our availability is limited so call early to make reservations. The Stradivarius Suite is rented at $125 + tax per night. All other rooms are rented at $120 + tax per night. Check-in time is after 2:00pm and check-out time is by noon.
Within the Manor House, you may select from the following room options. Like other homes built during the early part of the last century, all but one of the bedrooms is located on the second or third floors which are accessible only by stairs. The Maggini is the only bedroom available on the main floor in the Manor House.
Other lodging options on property include the Giles Cottage and the Green Room Apartment. The Giles Cottage, once used as housing for the Estate’s housekeeper, is ideal for a family or a group of friends traveling together. The Cottage has a master bedroom with full size bed and two smaller bedrooms, each with a twin bed. The large living room has a turn-of-the-century upright Steinway piano, a single pull-out sofa bed and adjoining dining room area with a table that seats four. A full kitchen and full bath are part of this charming cottage experience. The Giles Cottage is rented at $250/first night and $200 each additional night.
The Green Room Apartment can sleep up to 5 guests. It is located just behind and below the stage of Herter Hall, where during the day you may be lucky enough to hear our quartet or guest artists in rehearsal! The apartment has two bedrooms, each with two single beds. There is one full bathroom, as well as a living room with a single pull-out sofa bed and an efficiency kitchen with a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The Green Room Apartment is rented at $200 + tax per night.
If you join us on a concert weekend, Herter Hall is just a short stroll from either the Manor House or the cottages. During the day there is much to do in the County of Bath, so plan a soak in the Jefferson Pools, have a massage at the Warm Springs Spa, enjoy tea at the Omni Homestead, visit one of our lovely galleries in nearby Warm Springs, try your hand at plein air painting or sketching… or better yet, just relax.
We provide you a continental breakfast each morning and the Keurig coffee bar is always available. Better still, chill some wine, bring fine cheese, fruit, and artisanal bread and enjoy a picnic on the lawn or a romantic midnight snack.
Your stay with us harkens back to simpler times. Your cell phone may work, but it also may not depending on your service provider. We do not offer television, or radio, or other electronic distractions. We do offer beautiful mountain vistas, spectacular sunrises, a walking trail and the opportunity to disconnect from the world, and reconnect with what is important to you.
Overnight stays are popular with repeat guests and our availability is limited so call early to make reservations. Check-in time is after 2:00pm and check-out time is by noon.
To make a reservation, contact us at: 540-839-5018 or email: JCarey@GarthNewel.org
CANCELLATION POLICY (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
- A Credit Card is required to hold your reservation.
- Cancellations made less than 14 days in advance will forfeit half the total charge of the room.
- No-shows will be charged for the total amount.
Places to Stay in Bath County
Should our accommodations be unavailable or if you desire a different kind of overnight experience, please contact any of our Lodging Partners throughout the county:
- The Anderson Cottage Bed and Breakfast (approx. 2.6 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 540.839.2975
- Fort Lewis Lodge (approx. 18.1 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Millboro at 540.925.2314
- Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast (approx. 9.2 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 540.839.3178
- Inn at Gristmill Square (approx. 2.5 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 540.839.2231
- Hot Springs Victorian Inn (approx. 2.0 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Hot Springs at 540.839.3134
- Meadow Lane Lodge (approx. 9.9 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 540.839.5959
- Meadow Villas (approx. 2.6 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 717.951.3955 or 717.367.6970
- Natural Retreats Homestead Preserve (various listings) in Hot Springs at 877.805.7794
- The OMNI Homestead (approx. 4.0 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Hot Springs at 540.839.1766
- The Owner’s Club (Fractional Ownerships Available) at 540.839.3700
- Roseloe Motel (approx. .80 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 540.839.5373
- Sycamore Bend Cabin and River Retreat i(approx. 15 mil from Garth Newel Music Center) in Millboro at 540.414.4983
- Tuck-Away Cabins (approx. 23 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Millboro at 540.996.1462
- Turtle Brook Farm (approx. 5.8 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 540.8396646
- The Vine Cottage Inn (approx. 3.5 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) located in Hot Springs. at 800.410.9755. Special Garth Newel Weekend package rates available.
- Warm Springs Cottages (approx. 3.1 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm & Hot Springs at 540.839.2609
- Warm Springs Inn (approx. 2.9 mi from Garth Newel Music Center) in Warm Springs at 540.839.5351
Other stays within a 30-40 minute drive: