Founded in 1973, Garth Newel Music Center is one of the most active chamber music organizations in the country. Its resident ensemble—the Garth Newel Piano Quartet—performs over 60 concerts annually both at the Center and on tour. Through this competition, the Quartet seeks to broaden the piano quartet repertoire and to support the Center’s ongoing commitment to contemporary music.
The Winner will receive:
- A $3000 cash prize
- A performance of the winning work by the Garth Newel Piano Quartet on the 2018 Summer Music Festival in July, 2018
- A travel stipend to work with the Garth Newel Piano Quartet and attend the premiere in Hot Springs, Virginia
- A high-quality audio and video recording
- Frequent performances of their work by the Garth Newel Piano Quartet, and an eventual studio recording for public release by the quartet.
- NEW! Winner will have the opportunity to also participate in a short-term residency during the time of the premiere. The residency will take place during Garth Newel’s prestigious Emerging Artist Fellowship chamber music program.
- The winner will have the opportunity to work closely with the Garth Newel Piano Quartet and our 12 Emerging Artist Fellows, with the possibility of readings and performances of additional works by the composer involving all or any combination of 5 violins, 3 violas, 3 cellos, and 1 piano.
- Receive high quality recordings of these reading sessions and performances
- Collaborate and network with talented musicians from the top music schools.
- Submitted works must be for violin, viola, cello and piano. Piano trios and quintets are not accepted.
- There is no time limit for works.
- Submissions from any composer, regardless of age or citizenship, are welcome.
- The work must be originally conceived as a piano quartet. Arrangements of previously completed work that have been performed or published are not acceptable
Compositions are ineligible if:
- They require live electronics or cannot be performed with just stereo playback
- The work has already received a professional premiere.
- If they are a transcription or arrangement of another work that has been performed or published.
- They have already been professionally recorded for commercial CD release;
- The work, in any instrumentation, has been published.
Refer to our FAQ for more clarification
Each composer must submit:
- A legible score and parts of professional quality labeled with a pseudonym. No marks identifying the composer may appear anywhere on the score. The title of the work is permissible.
- An envelope labeled with the composer’s pseudonym. Information within the envelope should include the composer’s name, address, telephone number, email address and one-paragraph biography.
- A digital recording of the work labeled with the composer’s pseudonym (CDs or flash drives are acceptable). MIDI realizations are acceptable.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope of appropriate size if the composer wishes to have their materials returned.
All materials should be mailed to:
Garth Newel Music Center
403 Garth Newel Lane
Hot Springs, VA 24445
All materials must be received by November 28, 2017. Applicants will be notified of the result by e-mail no later than January 31, 2018.
For electronic submissions, email your score and audio file under a pseudonym to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with your biographical info in a pdf/word document labeled “do not open until after the results are determined”.
For further information or questions, refer to our FAQ, or email email@example.com.