Contact Us / Employment Opportunities
Garth Newel Music Center
The Garth Newel Music Center Foundation is nestled in the heart of the Allegheny Mountains in rural Bath County, Virginia. The Center, now in its 45th season, is a year-round arts organization that seeks to inspire audiences and nurture the human spirit through the shared experiences of performance, education, and advocacy of chamber music. Founded in 1973, the Garth Newel Music Center earned an Acclaim award in 2012 for its contribution to the cultural and economic life of the region and in 2018 was recognized by the Virginia Commission for the Arts as one of the Commonwealth’s Bedrock Institutions in the Arts.
Thank you for considering employment with the Garth Newel Music Center. If you feel that your skills and experience are aligned with the career opportunities posted please e-mail your cover letter, current resume, and the contact information of three employment references directly to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
|Title||: New Posting: Facilities Manager 06.29.2021|
Garth Newel Music Center Job Description
Facilities Manager: Position Open until filled
Title: Facilities Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Also Reports to: Director of Operations
Manages: Assistant(s), and/or contracted services
The Garth Newel Music Center is a 501c3 non-profit arts organization. Its overall mission is to inspire lives through the presentation, study and uplifting of chamber music and other performance arts. As the organization approaches its 50th year as a Music Center it is in the process of evaluating its programs and facilities and will be undergoing a transformative reimagining of its Concert Hall and Office Complex. In addition, as part of an ongoing strategic plan, the organization is seeking to create a strategic master plan with regards to its 114-acre property.
As part of the Garth Newel Music Center team the Facilities Manager reports directly to the Executive Director, and is responsible for all aspects of the physical properties (buildings, equipment) of Garth Newel as well as the maintenance and the aesthetics of the Garth Newel grounds. The Facility Manager is also an ex officio member of the Board of Director’s standing committee pertaining to the Buildings and Grounds.
- Ensure that the overall appearance of the property, is safe, beautiful,
well maintained, and photo-ready, especially during events.
- Develop a schedule for regular inspection and maintenance for the facilities and infrastructure.
- Serve as the main point of contact for all vendors researched for bids, and
vendors hired to do work for Garth Newel.
- Develop with the Executive Director a Disaster Policies & Procedures manual
- Maintain all documentation in alignment with GNMC’s Document Retention Policy.
- As part of the strategic plan, participate and contribute to the overall master plan for the campus
- Participate in regularly scheduled meeting of the Buildings and Grounds Committee
- Work with volunteers wishing to help with weeding, gardening, planting and beautifying garden beds and planters.
- Work closely with Director of Operations to determine checklists of grounds/facility needs for all Garth Newel events and Manor House guests including
- Guest stays
- Business Retreats
- Coordinate a thorough check of facilities/properties immediately following any event, concert, etc. to insure quick recovery and return to pre-event baseline
Maintenance for Residents and Guests at Garth Newel:
Garth Newel Music Center has several homes, cottages and apartments which are used for both long-term and short-term accommodations. The Kendall House and the Di Cecco Apartment at this time are the only full-time inhabited buildings. The other cottages and accommodations are for short-term rentals.
- Develop procedures for responding
to facility requests from residents in GN housing
- Communicate with Garth Newel staff to conduct any necessary preparation for visiting guest artists, students and Manor House guests
Vehicle and Equipment Management
Ensure that all Garth Newel equipment is in well-maintained and safe
condition, through periodic inspections, routine proactive maintenance,
necessary repairs, etc.
- Supervise assistant(s) who may be hired to assist you as effectively as possible with the task of maintaining Garth Newel’s and/or coordinate and supervise any contracted services with regard to operations and maintenance
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned
- Provide quarterly reports and updates to the Board of Directors on issues pertaining to the facilities.
- Assess the GNMC campus and buildings for areas of exposure and liability, develop a plan to address any deficiencies and implement in coordination with the budget process.
The successful candidate will be expected to be physically involved in many of the maintenance activities on campus.
- Strong project management skills required
- Strong people management skills required
- Awareness and experience with workplace safety procedures
- Highest level of pride and professionalism in all aspects of job performance
- Ability to operate equipment associated with the position
- Physical ability to carry out strenuous tasks for an hour or more
- Must plan to have a response for emergencies during off-hours at Garth Newel
- Minimally 5 years experience working in a property and land management role
- Basic carpentry and handyman skills (preferred)
- Basic computer skills (required)
- Experience using email, word and excel (preferred)
- Experience with creating and monitoring budgets
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have good communication skills
- Must have reliable phone/cell service
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
Working Conditions: The property of the Garth Newel Music Centeris a 114-acre plot of land located on the western side of Warm Springs Mountain with numerous buildings and extensive woods, rolling lawns and several hiking trails.
- Safety is of utmost importance, so back braces, safety glasses, etc. are required during heavy lifting.
- Other tools and training are provided as needed to do your job effectively
To apply, send a cover letter, a current resume and the names and contact information for three references to:
Garth Newel Music Center
PO Box 240
Warm Springs, VA 24445