Announcing the 3rd Annual Garth Newel Piano Quartet Composition Competition 2013
Since its founding in 1973, Garth Newel Music Center (www.garthnewel.org) has been one of the most active chamber music organizations in the country. Its resident ensemble—the Garth Newel Piano Quartet—performs over 50 concerts annually both at the Center and on tour. Through this competition, the Quartet seeks to broaden the piano quartet repertoire and to support the Center’s ongoing commitment to contemporary music.
Quartet - Alberto E. Colla; Italy
2011: Monkey Face -
Ivan Bozicevic; Croatia
The winner of the 2013 contest will receive:
- A $2000 cash prize;
- A performance of the winning work by the Garth Newel Piano Quartet on their 2013 Summer Music Festival;
- A travel stipend to attend the premiere in Hot Springs, Virginia
The work must be for piano, violin, viola, and cello. There is no time limit for works.
Submissions from any composer, regardless of age or citizenship are welcome.
Compositions are ineligible if:
Each composer must submit:
- They require tape or electronics;
- They have already received a professional premiere;
- They have already been professionally recorded for commercial CD release;
- They have been published.
All materials should be mailed to:
- A legible score and parts of professional quality labeled with a pseudonym. No marks identifying the composer may appear anywhere on the score. The title of the work is permissible.
- An envelope labeled with the composer’s pseudonym. Information within the envelope should include the composer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and one-paragraph biography.
- A CD recording of the work labeled with the composer’s pseudonym. MIDI realizations are acceptable.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope of appropriate size if the composer wishes to have their materials returned.
Garth Newel Music Center
403 Garth Newel Lane
Hot Springs, VA 24445
All materials must be received by November 15, 2012 and applicants will be notified by e-mail no later than January 31, 2013
For further information or questions, please call Garth Newel Music Center at 540-839-5018
or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org